The Templars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: The Templars   Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:21 pm

After Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the Knights Templar in 1307, Edward II did what he could to protect them. I see that Mary has added lots of great info on the Templars in the Isabella thread - if there's anything anyone would like to ask or contribute, put it here! Wink

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
elflady

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 pm

A very good novel I've read on the Templars in England and not only is Non Nobis, written by the Dutch author Hanny Alders. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's been translated into English.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alianore
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:51 pm

I've just seen it on Amazon UK for 348. Aiiieeee!! But it's available on Amazon US for $127 - bargain. It has a 5-star review by a reviewer from Romania - perhaps yours, Elflady?

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
elflady

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 pm

No, it wasn't me who reviewed it. I didn't have to order it on Amazon, it was published here (and it wasn't soooo expensive, not even by far!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaryReedMcCall

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Although I can't recommend any fiction books I've read concerning the Templars, I can recommend a goodly number of solid non-fiction works. They're all focused on the actual history of the Templars, particularly the years of their final trials, which spanned from October 13, 1307 to the bull off supression issued by the pope in 1312. They include:

The Knights Templar in Britain by Evelyn Lord

The Trial of the Templars by Malcolm Barber

The Last Templar by Alain Demurger (focusing on the life of the final Grand Master Jacques de Molay)

The Templars by Piers Paul Read

Knight Templar 1120 - 1312 by Helen Nicholson

There are others, but many Templar books seems to focus on conspiracy theories and the occult-based stuff that, for example, Dan Brown chose to play off of in his DaVinci Code, unfortunately.

Just thought some of you might be interested in some of the titles above!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.maryreedmccall.com
elflady

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks, Mary!
You're absolutely right, a lot of novels too seem to foucus on this sort of speculations: Grimpow - Rafael Abalos, The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elflady

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Another novel I've recently seen around here is Ines Nollier's "The Grand Master". Has anyone read it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alianore
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 pm

No, I hadn't heard of that one, Elflady. I've just searched for it - nothing at all by that author on Amazon UK, but Amazon US and Abebooks have it in French and Spanish. Doesn't look like there's an English translation, unfortunately.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Templars   

Back to top Go down

The Templars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Edward II :: Reign of Edward II :: Miscellaneous Topics-
Jump to: