Share | 

World Without End

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
boswellbaxter

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: World Without End   Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:50 am

I've heard that this novel by Ken Follet has a plot strand involving Edward II's death. Has anyone read it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.susanhigginbotham.com
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:38 pm

I've just ordered it! It's set between 1327 and 1361 - there seems to be some kind of plot device related to Edward II's murder, according to a review I've read.

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
Kate Plantaganet

Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:45 pm

It is the sequel to "Pillars of the Earth" which is my favourite book of all time.

I would love to read it also...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:14 pm

It hasthe descendants of characters in Pillars of the Earth, which is about The Anarchy and Henry II period, and is set in the same town.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:17 pm

Sorry, I didn't mention I hadn't read it yet. I will based on Kate's recommendation although I'm trying to get past the character names I saw in the reviews Edmund Wooler the Wool Dealer and Jack Builder, I'm not sure what he did? It does mention a mysterious killing in the review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kate Plantaganet

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:03 pm

You will be hooked by the first sentence (something like "the small boys came early to the hanging...sorry it has been a VERY long time since I read it)...Perhaps I am just reliving the whole 'feeling' of the book, but it is three wonderful stories that, by the end, intertwine in an expert way.

I didn't think Builder was a weird name! That is how surnames started. Either you took your surname from where you came from, or your trade; Baker, Fletcher, Miller etc etc. People were Paul the Baker, shortened to Paul Baker, so I didn't find that grating at all. The William character is loathesome. I defy anyone to find a worse 'baddie'. Wonderful. Enjoy it...really one for the christmas list!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm

No, I know that, the appearance of the two names close together just struck my funny bone. It must be from too much time having to watch Bob the Builder with my kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kate Plantaganet

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Paul! That is funny! I will be interested to know if you enjoy it. Often a "great recommendation" leads to "a let down", if you know what I mean. In fact, I am going to get out my very old copy of Pillars of the Earth and start reading it again...let us know what you think...and I would love to know opinions of the latest book once everyone has read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm still waiting for my copy of WWE to arrive! Sad Stupid postal service (I mean, "service"). I'll post about the book here asap.

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
Paul

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:45 pm

I read Pillars of the Earth recently and have to say I was a little disappointed. On the whole I enjoyed it and got through it at a decent pace, I just had a couple of problems with it which is probably to be expected in a 1000 page long book! My first problem was the flitting between modern language and language of the time but I soon got over that.

My main gripe was the black or white major characters. Philip the Prior is pure at heart and never even feels proud without telling himself he shouldn't be feeling that way. Jack is a genius, handsome and loved by all. On the other end of the spectrum you have William and Waleran without any redeeming features at all.

Like I say though I did enjoy it but just wished there had been more character flaws and less Gothic Architecture 1.0.1. Towards the end of the book it was like being back at university (I studied civil and structural engineering) again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elflady

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:30 pm

You're right about the architectural details, I've just started reading WWE and it's got a full description of church building structures...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Melisende

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-26

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:40 am

Its been absolute ages since I read Pillars - now that I've got WWE sitting on the floor gathering dust, AND I am looking for something to read (from the many yet to be read books I have about the place), I might just go back to the beginning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/9329
Tansy

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Pillars is one of my favourite books but I would avoid WWE if possible. It is just a regurgitation of Pillars but set in a different time period. It also goes on way too long in my opinion. I found the main love story tedious - they forever break up and get back together so in the end I didn't actually care about them. And the characters are very black and white so you instantly know who is good and who is bad. I found it a bit heavy handed - plus there are some really badly written sex scenes. Personally I thought a lot of it was just an excuse to have a lot of sex and violence in the story. I am not bothered if the story needs it but it seemed gratuitous and just seemed to be there because KF thought the story needed spicing up. I was really disappointed with this book.

There is a story about Edward II involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Without End   

Back to top Go down

World Without End
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1