Share | 

Andrew Harclay

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Andrew Harclay   Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Always somebody I felt incredibly sorry for, less than a year after winning the battle of Boroughbridge he was hanged, drawn and quartered. Being chopped to bits for negotiating with Robert Bruce does seem harsh even by the standards of the day, it's one of the few times I lose a bit of sympathy for Ed II.

Funnily enough after looking at the Edward II blog (which mention Andrew H) and Patent Rolls (as mentioned on the blog) I happened to see this entry for Feb 9, 1322:

Power to Andrew de Hartcla to treat of a form of final peace between the
king and Robert de Brus and his accomplices and to certify the king
thereof. [Fcedera.] By K.
The like to him to treat of a form of truce. [Foedera.~\ By K.

Isn't that more or less what he was convicted for a year later? Was it just that in the mean time he had got on Hugh the Youngers bad side that sealed his fate? I suppose there was a time limit on these truce talks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Harclay   Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

10 Feb 1323: "Mandate to all persons of the counties of Cumberland, Westmoreland, Lancaster, York, Northumberland and the bishopric of Durham to be no more attendant upon Andrew de Harcla, warden of the Marches, whom the king lately appointed to the keeping of the Marches and of certain of the said counties, he having joined the Scots and entered into a treaty with them against the king."

27 Feb 1323: "Commission to Edmund, earl of Kent, the king's brother, John de Hastynges, the king's kinsman, Ralph Basset, John Pecche, John de Wysham, knights, and Geoffrey le Scrop, to meet at Carlisle and to degrade Andrew de Hartcla, earl of Carlisle, a traitor to the king and the realm, whom the king lately girded with the sword of an earl, and to pronounce judgment upon him according to the tenor of a schedule sent herewith."

The poor guy! (In relation to the 'Death of Ed II' thread, it's interesting to see Kent and John Pecche mentioned together here). Edward II's biographer Haines says that the power granted to him in Feb 1322 "is nowhere mentioned as the authority for his agreement in 1323." He also says that Harclay was destroyed "by the connivance of an envious rival, Sir Anthony Lucy."

Harclay's ODNB entry says of the 1323 agreement "its terms suggest that the treaty was intended to create a military alliance between English earl [Harclay] and Scottish king, which would culminate in the dictation of peace to Edward II by them." It also points out that "he failed to appreciate how far his regional pre-eminence depended on royal office and favour, and how vulnerable he might be to local hostility if the king turned against him. Even posthumously, that favour was never restored." I'm not sure how Harclay made an enemy of Despenser, but it wasn't a particularly hard thing to do... Rolling Eyes Wink

Still, poor guy, and it was a harsh way to treat a man who'd won such a resounding victory over the earl of Lancaster and the rest at Boroughbridge. I feel really sorry for him too - he hardly deserved to have his body parts hanging in public for 5 years!

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
Paul

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Harclay   Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:18 am

True but reading it as him negotiating with the Scots in order to dictate matters to the King puts slightly a different slant on it than I had in my head before.

It is funny to see Kent and Pecche together. Did Pecche end up the same way as Kent?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elflady

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Harclay   Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:04 am

Absolutely not Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Harclay   

Back to top Go down