As I've been accused by certain persons of bias and unfairness by starting a thread about the misdeeds of Roger Mortimer, to even things out, here's one containing some of the many, many reasons why Hugh Despenser The Younger Was Totally Crap:
- he was a tyrant.
- he was a despot.
- he was greedy to the outer extremes of greediness.
- he treated women badly.
- he ruled England when he had no right to do so.
- he did nothing of any importance while Roger Mortimer was being wildly heroic and brilliant.
- he humiliated Queen Isabella.
- he was a threat to his neighbours in South Wales.
- he caused a civil war.
- he stole sweets from small children. (Probably.)
Feel free to add some more!
"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II