Share | 

The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:04 pm

I can't agree more! Celeb culture today is very shallow in that people become so-called celebs for the least reasons. Many people regard history as dull (the fault of history lessons at school most of the time!) yet when I tell them about the scandals and the bits they never knew, their eyes light up and they get really interested.

Personally, I think historical characters were much more interesting than most people around today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://despenser.blogspot.com
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:46 am

Lady D wrote:
Personally, I think historical characters were much more interesting than most people around today.

Agreed 1000%!

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
Anejre

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:31 pm

It really annoyed me when, back in the late 80's when I did my history degree, some friends said how boring it must be - and I had a go at them because they loved watching Dallas and Dynasty because of all the glitz, glamour and intrigue - and for that, you can't beat history! Just imagine the 'kiss and tells' from Ed's court! king and as for treachery - Isa would make Joan Collins look like a novice jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:28 pm

I think that's why the Tudors has been such a successful TV show. OK, it lacks historical accuracy at times - especially in the clothing department, but it could be worse. But isn't it great seeing all those passions, scandals and intrigues brought to life?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://despenser.blogspot.com
Froyle

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:35 am

Anejre wrote:
It really annoyed me when, back in the late 80's when I did my history degree, some friends said how boring it must be - and I had a go at them because they loved watching Dallas and Dynasty because of all the glitz, glamour and intrigue - and for that, you can't beat history! Just imagine the 'kiss and tells' from Ed's court! king and as for treachery - Isa would make Joan Collins look like a novice jocolor

Anejre, it's too bad that the real history, which is as you say is more "juicy", isn't made available to people.
Funny that in the 50's and early 60's there was more historical programming on the boob tube. Not that it was more accurate but they were trying to use the past rather than forget it.
How many episodes of Robin Hood w/ Richard Green were shown?
The CBS program "You Are There" was quite successful with its dramatizations of events with Walter Cronkite acting as the go-between
for the audience and the historical characters.
Today the networks (all of them) want the easy money!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anejre

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Froyle. In the UK, there has been more history on tv in recent years. There's been a re-vamped Robin Hood, which has been very pc (Robin solves problems without violence), a dodgy adaptation of Henry VIII, with Rray Winstone, The Virgin Queen from the BBC, the BBC's version of The Other Boleyn Girl, and Helen Mirren's Elizabeth. Plus 'imports' such as Rome and The Tudors. Last night, channel 4 started a civil war drama called 'The Devil's Whore', which I really enjoyed. Plus, there are some great documentaries on Timewatch and Time Team, and several 'one-offs' on channel 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anejre

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 pm

Oh, and the BBC are currently showing Merlin, which, granted, is fantasy based, but I still enjoy it. Would love a series on The Plantagenets! A much neglected area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeekWoottonHistoryGroup

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-04

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I have only just heard about this forum from someone who has researched Edward II, would like to visit the site and was directed to our website as well this one.
I've been reading the postings and would like to reply to a couple of things.
Piers Gaveston is the only person who is recorded as having been executed on Blacklow Hill - this is because (as Anejre says) the Earl of Warwick did not want him to be executed on his own land and Blacklow Hill was the nearest suitable location - it was never a regular site of execution. As for the legend that on some mornings you can hear the bells on Gavestons horse passing down the road from Warwick, a friend of mine rented a nearby farm cottage at one time and told me she heard them once - before she'd heard the legend.
Bertie Greatheed of Guy's Cliffe (a nearby ruined manor which can bee seen from the R Avon behind the Saxon Mill pub) had the monument built in 1821. It is understood that he was a regency 'romantic' character. He had a telescope through which he could read the inscription on the cross from the house. During the Victorian period there are many postcards of the cross standing proudly on top of a hill with no trees around - it must have been magnificent! The cross is on top of a rock that has an older carving on it stating it to be the spot where Gaveston was beheaded.
With reference to the 1312 date on the plaque and 1311 carved in the rock, we've always put this down to the change in calendars causing inconsistent dates. The older carving in the rock says 1311.
As Chazza said, it is overgrown and vandalised and has been a secluded spot where kids have gathered for many years - tucked away as it is. I know that the Parish Council would have liked to have done something about its condition, especially for this year, its anniversary. The woodland is owned by the descendants of Bertie Greatheed, but the farmer who owns the surrounding fields does not want a public footpath across his land. Personally I think that if the trees between it and the A46 were taken down and perhaps the cross were spotlit, it would discourage groups of kids from hanging around up there at night. We believe it is really only since the bypass was built in the early 70s that it has been so overlooked, before that, there was an established footpath past it, but the road cut that off. There is reference in a wartime diary to the writer taking a walk up there.
But if you can visit during the snowdrop or bluebell seasons, then Blacklow Hill is a really beautiful sight - I was up there once when it was carpeted with bluebells and saw a fox meandering through them.
If anyone needs guidance to find the monument, contact Leek Wootton History Group (www.leekwoottonandguyscliffe.org.uk/history_group.htm).
Helen
PS agree with you all about the modern celebs -v- history!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'   

Back to top Go down

The Search for the elusive 'Gaveston's Cross'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2