Share | 

The Dunheved Gang

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: The Dunheved Gang   Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks to Alianore for getting me interested in these fellows again! I was wondering (and thanks to wondering, not getting off to sleep) just how they managed to get into and then overwhelm the garrison at Berkeley Castle to rescue Ed.

I certainly think it was an inside job - but even so, it must have still been difficult to quell any resistance in such a place. I'm wondering whether perhaps the men guarding the castle were drugged with something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://despenser.blogspot.com
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Dunheved Gang   Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 am

I'd give a great deal to know how they managed it! The whole story is just incredible, and it's such a shame that so little is known about it. The fact that the men had time to seize Ed and plunder the castle, and managed to escape (or at least, a few of them did) suggests that they'd completely overpowered the garrison, and presumably locked them up or otherwise incapacitated them, so that they couldn't pursue the Dunheveds from the castle. I wonder if the Dunheveds stole horses, or if they escaped on foot. Maybe they let all the horses loose to make sure the garrison couldn't follow them.

Ohhhhh, I'm so obsessed with all this!!! Smile

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/

The Dunheved Gang
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1