Share | 

The Grey Man of Ennor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: The Grey Man of Ennor?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:20 pm

I've just finished reading Robert Goddard's Name to a Face (for the second time). In the book, which is a murder mystery, it is claimed that Edward II became a monk after being freed by the Dunheved Gang, and lived on the island of Tresco, part of the Scilly Islands, which were known at one time as Ennor. During the Black Death of 1348-9, an eldery, grey-haired monk was supposed to have wandered through Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset, curing plague victims with a touch. Goddard brings in the medieval belief of the Royal Touch, and later in the novel he positively identifies the Grey Man of Ennor as being Edward II.

Has anyone else ever heard of the "Grey Man of Ennor" from any other sources? Would there be any evidence from Edward II's life which would contradict such an account?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Man of Ennor?   Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Michael, and welcome to the forum! Sorry for the very long delay in responding, but I've just come back from holiday.

I read the Goddard novel last autumn, and enjoyed it. I've never heard of the Grey Man - must do some research on him! Although I do believe Edward survived after 1327, I'm not convinced he was still alive as late as 1349, or still in England. It's a very interesting notion, though.

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/

The Grey Man of Ennor?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1