Share | 

King Edward II and his Death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul Lizioli

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: King Edward II and his Death   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi- I just joined today and wanted to introduce myself. I am not a historian but stumbled upon a rougly hewn stone grave in a monastery in the area where I live which claims to be the resting place of Edward II who died in 1327. The Monastery is Sant Alberto di Butrio in Ponte Nizza in the province of Pavia the southernmost tip of Lombardy. 1 hour drive south of Milan towards Genoa. The inscription in the rock claims also that he came to the place via Spain and France and spent the last years of his life in prayer and comtemplation. His body was then removed by Edward III and taken back to England. I realise that there is a lot of controversy over his death so I ask why would the monks and how would the monks invent such a story if it were not true? Caroline Bingham in her book "The Life and Times of Edward II" published in 1973 does also mention this story as a possibility surrounding his last years. She also mentions that Edward II's death was not officially recorded until some 20 years after the event.
I would be fascinated to hear what everyone thinks.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Lizioli on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.villa-arabella.it
Alianore
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: King Edward II and his Death   Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, Paul! Will respond properly to your fascinating post asap!

"Sans lui n'estoit rien fait, et par lui estoit tous fait, et le creoit li rois plus que tout le monde." Without him nothing is done and through him everything is done, and the king trusts him more than any other: Hugh Despenser the Younger and Edward II
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://edwardthesecond.com/
AndreaFaery

Number of posts : 9
Location : San Jose Costa Rica! First Costarican EdwardII FAN!
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: King Edward II and his Death   Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:22 am

I have read several theories about his dead, but none so descriptive, I just read in several sources that he escaped to Italy and about a letter that a priest wrote to Edward III to inform him of his father.(Which I read they are going to do a movie about it)
But it´s interesting, I did not know that they even had a stone grave there!
Yes there is a lot of controversy, and I really wish that he died peacefully in a monastery, anyway I do not believe he died in the horrible way that he supposedly did. And I do agree with you that monks would not have made up this type of stories.

I really wish there were lots of interest in this to see if this mystery of his dead can be solved, you know that there were lots of archaeologists and historians deep into this topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Edward II and his Death   

Back to top Go down

King Edward II and his Death
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1